Quality and Environmental Management, Occupational Health and Safety, Information Security and Corporate Risk management systems
The “Quality Management System” Certificate is the first in a series of ISO certificates implemented in Polskie LNG S.A. company. Strict procedures applied during the construction phase as well as during the facility operation shall ensure the effective and safe functioning of the terminal.
The concept of ISO 9001:2008 standard is based largely on the concept of TQM (Total Quality Management) i.e. comprehensive quality management, and it follows similar rules; namely:
- Focus on a customer– focusing on present and future needs of clients and acting to meet those needs
- Leadership – managerial staff is responsible for formulating the policy, goals, strategy, as well as the directions for company development. The management is also responsible for motivating staff as well as boosting personnel commitment to the development of company and providing favorable conditions for acting in this direction.
- Staff commitment – only the involvement of all the employees in implementation of company strategy and goals guarantees efficient use of its potential and accomplishing the intended advantages.
- Process approach – all the actions of the company should be regarded as interconnected processes.
- System approach to management – based on identifying, understanding, and managing the interconnected processes in a systemic approach (as a system of interconnected elements mutually affecting each other).
- Continual improvement – continued and consistent strive towards increasing the satisfaction of clients and other stakeholders of the company.
- Factual approach – decision making process based on verified, logically analyzed and measurable information.
- Mutually beneficial supplier relations – the company and its suppliers are mutually dependent. The relations between them are established so as to be mutually beneficial and to allow for a quick response in the event of rapidly changing market conditions as well as clients’ needs.
Acquiring and sustaining the “ISO 9001 Quality Management Certificate” in concordance with international ISO standards serves as evidence that Polskie LNG Board of Managers applies best management practice and promotes systemic solutions enhancing the implementation of the key project for state energy security – the construction of the first liquefied natural gas import terminal in Poland.
The environmental impact analysis has not identified any significant negative effects of the project on natural environment.
Notwithstanding the above, the aforementioned decisions impose on Polskie LNG S.A. a number of obligations pertaining to environmental protection, both during the construction phase as well as during the operation of the liquefied natural gas regasification terminal.
The implementation of and sustaining the “Environmental Management System” in compliance with the requirements of the international ISO 14001:2004 standard is an effort aimed at meeting the expectations of company’s external environment, society, state and local government administration, financing institutions, suppliers, clients and all the stakeholders as regards environmental protection.
Moreover, the “Environmental Management System” implemented as a follow-up provides effective means to identify environmental threats in a systemic manner as well as it allows the company to exercise the “Environmental Policy” in order to constrain the company’s negative impact on local environment.
The core objective of implementing the “Environmental Management System ISO 14001:2004” is to promote environmental protection in concordance with the concept of sustainable development and in consideration of social and economic needs. The LNG terminal in Świnoujście is constructed in compliance with all applicable quality and safety requirements as well as in consideration of the impact of the project on the quality of life and natural environment in the vicinity of the facility.
Under the implemented standards for environmental management (ISO 14001), Polskie LNG SA is obligated to identify and annually update environmental aspects, including the significant ones, if applicable. In accordance with paragraph 4.4.3. of PN-EN ISO 14001: 2005 standard with regard to the environmental aspects the organization is obliged, inter alia, to decide whether to disclose significant environmental aspects and/or to document its decision. Therefore, on 14 March 2013 the Management Board of Polskie LNG decided that information about significant environmental aspects identified in the Company shall not be communicated externally.
The „Occupational Health and Safety Management System” implemented in 2014 pursuant to OHSAS 18001 standard and further integrated with quality and environment management systems proves that the Company is committed to monitoring potential threats that may occur in work environment and preventing the exposures and increasing the competency of staff considering their role and involvement in OHS.
In 2015, the existing Integrated Management System was integrated with information security management system pursuant to ISO 27001, and with corporate risk management system (not subject to certification).